top of page

Steam Room



Making the Switch to Gas

As the temperature drops the chilly season can bring higher power bills and other expenses, adopting energy efficient and cost effective methods while staying warm quickly becomes a juggling act; but it doesn’t have to be. Making a few energy-smart choices can make a difference to how much winter will hurt your wallet.


The current state of affairs with electricity has some locals needing a more reliable source of energy; especially as we near winter. Unlike with electricity, natural gas supply is unaffected by the weather. Its delivery via underground pipelines means that storms won’t disrupt supply so your home will stay toasty warm and showers won’t bite no matter what’s happening outside. An endless supply of bbq dinners from your connected supply won’t interrupt from feeding your hungry loved ones.


Gas is kinder to the environment with only 1/3 of the amount of greenhouse gas omissions generated. Homes that use natural gas appliances for heating, hot water and cooking are more efficient, gas hot water systems provide instant hot water, with up to 83% less carbon emissions than electric hot water systems.


It takes energy to produce gas and electricity to each home, 70% of electricity makes it to your home with the remaining 30% used to produce it. 90% of gas coming from underground pipelines reaches each home with only 10% lost in the process.

A test run by the Australian Bureau of Statistics publication Energy Accounts Australia 2013-14 (cat no. 4604.0) showed the same amount of energy was supplied to each household with gas providing larger output at lower cost at 60 cents less than electricity.

Additionally gas copes easily when heating large areas quickly; reducing heating bills by up to 60%.


Although the long-term benefits are clear, the initial set-up and connection can be expensive, nothing of value comes for free. The costs depend on many variables such as:

  • How far your house is to the gas main

  • Where the gas meter is to be located

  • The type of installation ie; heating and cooling, outdoor, bathroom, kitchen etc.

According to Australian Gas Networks for homes still connected to electricity their annual cost run at $1,156, homes that use natural gas for cooking and hot water systems on average usage pay $782 each year, that’s a $374 saving.

Government Rebate

The AGN is currently offering a $500 rebate on the following installations, per appliance:

  • Natural gas hot water systems

  • Natural gas ducted central heating or hydronic heating

  • Natural gas flued space heating

Talk to Glenelg Plumbing Services about the rebate and if your home is eligible for the savings. The costs can be greatly diminished once you understand how your home uses energy and the savings don’t have to stop at rebate, GPS will keep you in the know about how to maintain and look after your investment; the more you know, the more control you can have over your bills.


Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • Facebook Basic Square

Call Glenelg Plumbing Services for all your Emergency Plumbing needs on (08) 8295 1122 or get a Free Quote 

bottom of page